During the winter in the northern part of the U.S., owning a boat is pretty much useless. More so if you live in areas such as Michigan, New York, or New Jersey. Although summer boating may be a pleasure many wish to have, during the winter owning a boat does nothing but burn a hole in your pocket. Is your boat creating unwanted expenses? Are you looking to cut expenses and start finding ways to save more money? If so, eliminating one of your largest expenses, such as your boat is a great place to start!
So, you bought a boat out of impulse because, well hey, who doesn’t want a boat? Now you going through your first winter as a boat owner, and have come across issues that you didn’t think about when you were signing the title at the dealership. Such as off-season expenses.
Unfortunately for most of us, the fun in the sun has ended. The cold winter months are approaching and it is time to winterize your boat. In addition, any responsible boat own should follow some good guidelines to winterize your boat. Of course, if you feel like you no longer want your boat or plan on buying a new one. Then you can sell your old boat to us at Sell Us Your Boat. Also, we offer fair prices on any used boat in decent condition.
What to watch out for before bad weather strikes
Bad Weather can change quickly and when you’re on a boat this matters. Thunderstorms, strong winter cold fronts, and large waves should cause any experienced sailor to be on alert. You have to keep your head up and pay attention to your surroundings and make sure that any changes in the weather won’t turn deadly. In Florida you need to pay extra attention because weather can change so rapidly. The best way to avoid potentially deadly weather conditions is to follow the following helpful suggestions:
- Always check weather conditions before going out. We recommend checking the weather reports the same week, the night before, then the day of. Weather can change at the drop of a hat and there is no sense in not being prepared
- Alert someone to your travel plans. This can be as simple as telling someone when you expect to be back, and where you’re planning on going.
- Make sure you stay on top of changing conditions. If you feel the wind pick up or change direction, you may need to check in. NOAA broadcasts weather reports via the “weather band” on channels 1-5 check these frequently if needed.
- Keep an eye on the horizon. If all else fails just keep your eyes peeled. If you see dark clouds starting to form, you can probably figure that there may be a weather change in sight. Keep your eye’s peeled and on the horizon.
- Have enough life jackets on board. Not only is it required for safety checks, but it’s also good to know where your life jackets are in case of emergency. Practice with your crew if you must.
- Have an escape plan. If the worst were to happen, make sure you’re prepared for it. Always have a plan b and know how you’re going to execute it.
- Know what your craft can handle. If your boat was made for inland lakes and bayous, or was made for pleasure cruises know what your boat can handle. Don’t push your boat to it’s limits and always know when to call it.
If the last one on the list stuck a cord, we can help. Why hold onto a boat that can’t hack it anymore? We know that the ocean is it’s own beast, and you need a boat that can handle it. So if you’re ready to hang up your captains hat or upgrade your fleet, we can help. We buy used boats from all over Florida and can buy your boat from you today!
Simply fill out our free online quote from here and tell us all about your boat. We will then return with a price, no commitment required. We won’t ask you to put down any kind of personal information or credit card info for a quote. Simply fill out your information, and let us do the rest. These quotes also include pick up costs for your boat. You don’t have to worry about getting your boat ready for the open road, we’ll take care of that. Our professionally trained team will come to you ( or meet you at the closest meet up spot) and take care of all the travel concerns. So why wait to get that old boat out of your hair, let us help! Contact us today for your no commitment free quote today! Stay safe on the open sea!